News:

10/23/16 - Welcome to the new forums!

Main Menu
Menu

Show posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Show posts Menu

Messages - nolesrule

#1
Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
way past the ballmer peak for coding. These margaritas are too strong! 🍸

You're going to come home with a tattoo of a Mexican cutie.
#2
Off-topic / Re: How are you feeling today?
January 13, 2017, 07:53:08 AM
Quote from: Mike on January 12, 2017, 05:23:00 PM
Quote from: asromzek on January 12, 2017, 08:12:09 AM
These Financier employee retreats are getting out of hand!

Snow skiing last month and now scuba diving this month! I like to goof-off on vacation as much as anyone, but I think we need to establish some parameters before the next vacation.

Let's try this in language that @Alex will understand.

if (scheduled_transactions_completed && mobile_app_completed) {
    vacation = "Yes";
} else {
    vacation = "No";
}

:P

You should use boolean rather than text strings for binary return values.
#3
Introductions / Re: Greetings from New Jersey
January 01, 2017, 10:40:16 AM
I thought you would all be happy to know that my AOM went from 259 on November 30th to 286 on December 31st. That's 27 days in a 31 day month. (It'll probably crash next month when we make the credit card payments, and I think the fact that we didn't send any money to IRA or taxable investments in December made a difference as well).  :parrot:



P.S. I keep a free trial active over there just to track the AOM B.S. for $#!+$ and giggles.
#4
General Discussion / Re: 401k: Rollover, IRA or ?
December 09, 2016, 07:32:11 PM
Quote from: RPNnerd on December 02, 2016, 11:27:44 AM
Quote from: Shark on December 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM
IRA Pro: You will have full access to the entire market of choices if you are an active investor.

IRA Con: You will have full access to the entire market of choices if you are an active investor.

Seriously, I used to always say roll it over to an IRA but I have the potential of needing backdoor Roth IRA contributions within the next few years. I'm going to have to convert (and pay income taxes at a higher bracket than I earned the dollars at) my rollover account if I want to be able to do Roth in the next few years. Something to be educated about for sure.


When I inquired about IRA and backdoor Roth with Merrill Edge, I found out that I could just open a new IRA -- supply it with new money and transfer that money into a (newly made) Roth IRA.

They did not charge for creating the account and I left $5 in it so that I could use that same account again.  I have/had an IRA from a 401k rollover already.  And I sure didn't want to mix ungrown principal into that IRA for the backdoor Roth IRA.

There are ways and different investment places can help in different ways.

You need to be careful about the pro-rata rule if you have money in a traditional IRA in a year you make a Roth conversion involving non-deductible IRA contributions. You will end up leaving some of that basis in the traditional IRA and will have to pay taxes on part of the conversion.
#5
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 09, 2016, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: Billy_McSkintos on December 09, 2016, 09:38:55 AM
QuoteI use the following:

Weekly
Every Two Weeks
Every 4 weeks
Every 15th and last day
Monthly
Every 3 months
Yearly

I would love for "or previous business day" to be like a checkbox option when setting the recurrence. The 15th and last day is my paycheck, and it moves around so much because of weekends or holidays. I actually have my paycheck set up as 2 different monthly transactions for my sanity due to the fluctuations, but I would prefer a single entry.

Great idea for the checkbox option but would like to add 'next business day' too. Most likely if a payment lands on Saturday it would come out on Friday but if it landed on Sunday it would come out on Monday.

I would also appreciate a last day of the month option.

I thought about Next Business day after I made the post.

Perhaps it would require a set of radio buttons or a select box with options  for No Change/Next Business Day/Previous Business Day


I don't think we should make it so complex that it accounts for business holidays. Just days defined as weekends. Business holidays are all over the place depending on where you live, and if transactions are occurring in a zone other than which you live, that's the possibility of a different set of business holidays.
#6
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 09, 2016, 10:24:22 AM
Quote from: jerryfmccarthy on December 09, 2016, 08:54:07 AM
came in handy when my wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room earlier this year and I was able to look up purchase prices for the insurance claim.

Kanye?  :o

Housekeeping. They found 1 earring out of 8 in the dryer. Hotel insurance reimbursed us.
#7
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 09, 2016, 08:40:59 AM
Quote from: Alex on December 09, 2016, 07:59:32 AM
I might have to download ms money this weekend to try it out. :)

Like I said, a nice to have. Not a need. But it was one feature I really loved and miss since I stopped using MS Money (about two years ago). I still keep it installed so I can look back at historical transactions... came in handy when my wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room earlier this year and I was able to look up purchase prices for the insurance claim.

I pulled it up today thinking about providing a screen grab, but everything is so out of date that it looks fugly.
#8
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 09, 2016, 07:07:32 AM
@Alex I'd like to see scheduled transactions used for a graphic Cashflow monitor of accounts.

If you're not sure what that means, Microsoft Money did an awesome job with it and was a great way to monitor for needed transfers between accounts. It was built into their scheduler module. You can download the MS Money Sunset Edition to see what I'm talking about.

It's more of a nice to have, because future dated transactions in the register combined with a running balance can accomplish the same thing (though with a bit more work on the part of the user having to juggle the scheduler).

#9
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 08, 2016, 12:24:27 PM
The Amazon autoship used to allow for some pretty crazy N week frequencies. Not sure if it still does.
#10
Feedback / Re: Scheduled transactions
December 08, 2016, 07:02:29 AM
I use the following:

Weekly
Every Two Weeks
Every 4 weeks
Every 15th and last day
Monthly
Every 3 months
Yearly

I would love for "or previous business day" to be like a checkbox option when setting the recurrence. The 15th and last day is my paycheck, and it moves around so much because of weekends or holidays. I actually have my paycheck set up as 2 different monthly transactions for my sanity due to the fluctuations, but I would prefer a single entry.

ETA: I would also love to have a number of occurrences set, either by integer or by a calendar end date. Skipping an occurrence should not change the "end date" but would decrement the number of remaining occurrences.

This would make my life easier for things like allowance, where the amount goes up on the first allowance day following a kid's birthday. I'd be able to set up all of them until they move out of the house well in advance. :)
#11
While I agree with the concept, I'd rather just have the money now on the medical expenses. Once the three years has passed you can toss the receipts.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The extra money now lets us do more... but then we are already investing a significant amount for retirement/long-term as well as saving/spending more on the non-long term. Not including the HSA, since it's still in the cash accumulation phase, we are putting in over $66k in 2016... by far our highest amount ever in one year. More than double what we put in during our first year using [the other budgeting software], and 5 times what we put in the year before starting [the other budgeting software].

[the other budgeting software] has helped control our spending which has allowed us to save/invest more in general.


ETA... our HSA investment options are pretty limited. The only investments of interest are Investor Shares of Vanguard 500 and Vanguard Total International.
#12
Introductions / Re: Greetings from New Jersey
December 06, 2016, 07:11:48 AM
Quote from: RPNnerd on December 05, 2016, 03:24:02 PM
I about spit coffee at the mention of AoM.

I could go on and on (and on) about that steaming pile, but I'd just be preaching to the choir here.
#13
Quote from: asromzek on December 05, 2016, 03:39:02 PM
Check numbers are available now. Right click on the account and click "Show check number".  ;)

How do I change my vote?  ;D
#14
Scheduled transactions is the big one. But then I had a hard time choosing between check numbers, search, payee management and running balance. So I left out Payee management.
#15
Off-topic / Re: LastPass?
December 05, 2016, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 24, 2016, 03:20:11 PM
Another vote for LastPass 👍.

It better be secure, since a lot of Financier's passwords are stored in there.  ;)

I also recommend using Correct Horse Battery Staple to generate a very secure, easy-to-remember password for your Master Password in LastPass. It's basically DiceWare.

Ha. I've been referring to that xkcd comic for years. I didn't know someone built a password generator site based on the idea. That's awesome.

I also use LastPass. It's been very helpful weeding out repeat passwords, and helps my wife as well so we can securely share passwords for joint accounts.