Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - Doomspark

Pages: [1]
1
General Discussion / Tax implications (Florida)
« on: December 16, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »
My father in law recently told us that he's leaving my wife 20% of his estate (the other 80% going to his current wife - my wife's step-mother).  My father-in-law says that this 20% is currently worth about $300,000.00 and may well be more, depending on how long he lives.

My wife intends to take the money and set it up in trust for her niece. Yes, the psycho brat niece.  I think this is a TERRIBLE idea, but it will be my wife's money and she can do what she wants with it.

My understanding is that when my wife gets the inheritance, it will count as income for us for that tax year and we will have to pay taxes on it the following spring.  Is this correct? If so, is there some relatively simple formula for how much the tax hit will be?  Is there any way to minimize it?


2
Feature Requests / File import / export
« on: October 25, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
Please allow import / export of transaction files.  OFX format would be great, with QIF and CSV as additional options.

I personally prefer file import to "direct" import.  I know some people feel otherwise.

3
Off-topic / Any Star Trek geeks here?
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »
*raises hand*   I grew up watching Star Trek (the Original series).  Love TOS, TNG, DS9.  I like a lot of VOY, but not all (that's a subject for another post, perhaps).  And I despised Enterprise.

Pages: [1]