Author Topic: 1.2.0 Released  (Read 856 times)

Offline Alex

1.2.0 Released
« on: November 25, 2016, 10:18:23 PM »
Here's a new release for you this Friday! Hope it works well. parrot

Features

Bug fixes

The heat map report is the first iteration and obviously will be improved down the road (better configuration, make clicking show the transactions, etc). :) It's also a stab at one idea that's been churning in my head for a while now. I hope you like it!

I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline jeremiahsvow

Re: 1.2.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »
Hey @Alex,

Thanks for the update. I was looking at the Heat Map. A couple of things. I like the idea. I'm a visual person, so seeing inflows and outflows in a graphical form is pretty interesting. I can envision this being very helpful to variable income folks.

Second, and it's sort of related to the first. I can see myself trying to get the spending into a more regular pattern. Right now it is all over the place!

A quick question. Do you tink a key would be helpful? Just showing that lighter color is less activity, darker meaning more. While I guess some people will get it faster than I did. It took me a few minutes to understand the relationship between the two maps and the meaning of the colors.

Any way. Keep up the good work!

PS - Here's my map.

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 11:13:16 PM »
I may get a legend or something going -- right now it's:

gray = $0
lightest color = $0.01
darkest color = > $200 for outflow, >$1,000 for inflow

It's a linear color scale between those points. I could definitely have a linear gradient legend at the bottom or something, also explaining green = income and red = expenses.

I decided to make the maxes constants so that they would be easier to compare. That is, you could compare budgets or against other people.

Thx for checking it out!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:15:54 PM by Alex »

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:15:51 PM »
Just an observation. I was checking the various values. I noticed that I have outflows that are between 400 and 2,000 dollars that are the same color (I have an outflow for over 3,500 that is as well. I don't even remember what that was!  :o). Should there be more variation? Or is that about right?

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
I may get a legend or something going -- right now it's:

gray = $0
lightest color = $0.01
darkest color = > $200 for outflow, >$1,000 for inflow

It's a linear color scale between those points. I could definitely have a linear gradient legend at the bottom or something, also explaining green = income and red = expenses.

I decided to make the maxes constants so that they would be easier to compare. That is, you could compare budgets or against other people.

Thx for checking it out!

I was writing my other observation when you posted this. But that is helpful to know. Thank you!

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »
Just an observation. I was checking the various values. I noticed that I have outflows that are between 400 and 2,000 dollars that are the same color (I have an outflow for over 3,500 that is as well. I don't even remember what that was!  :o). Should there be more variation? Or is that about right?

Yeah, that's about right. I was fiddling with it when creating and it seemed more helpful to show a larger difference in colors between more regular values than large. For example, if there's a large outflow day (2,000) it would lower the contrast of every other day making the info less helpful.

In my perspective, the difference between $10 and $50 for everyday outflows is more important to me than $10 vs $2,000 since $2,000 isn't an 'everyday' transaction. (I hope that makes sense.)

It's definitely a place where adding a configuration option would help out. 👍

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Pro tip -- if you hover over a value, it'll show you the day and total amount. :)

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
Yeah, that's about right. I was fiddling with it when creating and it seemed more helpful to show a larger difference in colors between more regular values than large. For example, if there's a large outflow day (2,000) it would lower the contrast of every other day making the info less helpful.

In my perspective, the difference between $10 and $50 for everyday outflows is more important to me than $10 vs $2,000 since $2,000 isn't an 'everyday' transaction. (I hope that makes sense.)

It's definitely a place where adding a configuration option would help out. 👍

That actually makes good sense. It will normalize the irregularly large transactions. I will keep that in mind as look at the report in the future.

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 11:26:54 PM »
Pro tip -- if you hover over a value, it'll show you the day and total amount. :)

I saw that. Very nice touch!  parrot

Offline athikalaka

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 02:07:29 AM »
The heat map is interesting but at this stage, it doesn't present much for me because I have a lot of transactions moving around all the time (direct debits, loan payments, credit card payments etc).
As mentioned in my feature request (https://trello.com/c/kUaY9k3s/278-save-report-configuration-shortcut), I can see this will be very useful as a supplementary tool for Income/Expense & Cashflow reports for certain cases (Investments or select categories).

Looking forward to seeing this grow!

Offline Paul

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 03:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the Safari fix - this has solved my problem on my Mac!  :D

There does seem to be one "side effect" though - the Accounts list is now showing in very pale, low res font. By way of comparison, there is no change in Chrome