Author Topic: Hello from western NY  (Read 807 times)

Offline Nancyscotty

Hello from western NY
« on: December 02, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
Hi everyone, we are long time YNAB users, still using YNAB3. I'm 63 and my husband is 71, we've been using YNAB since 2011. Before that I did it on paper! We learned the method of planning for "true expenses" from Mary Hunt with her "freedom account", so have probably been living within our means for 20 years or so.   I wish we would have started years ago, we would be millionaires by now! (living within our means for 20 years, married for 44! How much money flowed through our hands? How many new, shiny things did we buy? Why did a family of 2 have 4 cars on the road at one time!?)   Why didn't we SAVE more? I remember year after year after year, taking a 90 day note from the bank to pay our taxes, but NEVER, ever thought to save for next years taxes! What a novel idea! It changed our lives.

I figure I am on borrowed time with YNAB3, so gladly paid the annual fee to financier, after looking it over. I am running both in tandem right now, and looking forward to switching completely to financier. I don't know if there is a way to import my ynab3 budget in to financier, and don't want to lose all that data. We just got our first smartphones this week, so who knows, maybe someday we might even enter transactions in to Financier on our phones! 

My sister is retiring at 62 this month, and I purchased Financier for her, also, so she can easily live within her means! Thanks Alex, and thanks community!  I look forward to our growth together.

Offline Shark

Re: Hello from western NY
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Great thoughts and thanks for sharing your story. I too remember Mary Hunt's "Freedom Account" and used to have that as a line item on my budget back in the early 90's. Unfortunately I fell off the budget bandwagon and didn't get back on track until 2007 and I'm never leaving again.

Offline Joel

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
Hi everyone, we are long time YNAB users, still using YNAB3. I'm 63 and my husband is 71, we've been using YNAB since 2011. Before that I did it on paper! We learned the method of planning for "true expenses" from Mary Hunt with her "freedom account", so have probably been living within our means for 20 years or so.   I wish we would have started years ago, we would be millionaires by now! (living within our means for 20 years, married for 44! How much money flowed through our hands? How many new, shiny things did we buy? Why did a family of 2 have 4 cars on the road at one time!?)   Why didn't we SAVE more? I remember year after year after year, taking a 90 day note from the bank to pay our taxes, but NEVER, ever thought to save for next years taxes! What a novel idea! It changed our lives.

I figure I am on borrowed time with YNAB3, so gladly paid the annual fee to financier, after looking it over. I am running both in tandem right now, and looking forward to switching completely to financier. I don't know if there is a way to import my ynab3 budget in to financier, and don't want to lose all that data. We just got our first smartphones this week, so who knows, maybe someday we might even enter transactions in to Financier on our phones! 

My sister is retiring at 62 this month, and I purchased Financier for her, also, so she can easily live within her means! Thanks Alex, and thanks community!  I look forward to our growth together.

@Nancyscotty - I would recommend importing your YNAB3 budget into YNAB4, and then converting the YNAB4 file to Financier. You may have to jump through some hoops, but I'm sure many of us would help you get the YNAB3 file to YNAB4 and then Financier.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline Nancyscotty

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Joel, as a 62 year old "technofearby", I am a little afraid to try! (it's why I never started using ynab4) But I just might be encouraged to give it a go! If not now, then after the holidays are over. Thanks for your encouragement

Offline asromzek

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
I remember converting my budget from YNAB3 to YNAB4 to be really smooth...
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline athikalaka

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Joel, as a 62 year old "technofearby", I am a little afraid to try! (it's why I never started using ynab4) But I just might be encouraged to give it a go! If not now, then after the holidays are over. Thanks for your encouragement

http://classic.youneedabudget.com/support/article/upgrade-from-an-older-version-of-ynab

Doesn't hurt to give it a go, just make a copy of your YNAB data to your desktop.

Where will I find my old budget files?
The default location for YNAB 3 budget files is in the Documents folder and they'll have a .ynab3 file name extension. If you can't locate then there you can search for all files name *.ynab3 or if you still have YNAB 3 installed you can use File>Save As... to locate where the files are saved to.

YNAB Pro files end with just .ynab and can be found in much the same fashion described above.

Then install YNAB4 and open your duplicate version of YNAB3 budget

Will my budget data open in the new version?
Yes! You can convert your older budget to YNAB 4 by way of File>Open>Open another budget>Convert an older budget file which will open and convert any YNAB Pro or YNAB 3 budgets.

Once converted, save the copy and then you'll be able to use the YNAB4 converter!
https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=134.0

Happy to help if you need it. As long as you make a copy of your existing budget, you'll have no problems because then YNAB4 and the converter will not need to touch your existing data, only the duplicate you created on your desktop!

Offline Joel

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:14:22 PM »

If you run into any issues, just ask. Plenty of us here are likely able to help. I also remember the YNAB 3 to YNAB 4 migration being pretty seamless (assuming you had error checking turned on in 3)
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:14:04 PM »
Thanks for your story! It's very cool to see people still using YNAB3 happily. I hope you find Financier to work just as flawlessly. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.