Author Topic: Duplicate Payee  (Read 1921 times)

Offline MacMichael

Duplicate Payee
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
In my Payee drop down list, I noticed Costco is in there twice.  Upon closer examination, one of the Costco's has a trailing space.  Since I imported my old YNAB 4 transactions into Financier, I checked and that is where it came from.  In YNAB 4 it is easy to rename a payee and correct the problem but is there a way I can correct this in Financier before payee management is implemented?  Should Financier allow trailing spaces on payees?  I assume if I re-imported my YNAB 4 transactions I would have a big duplicate mess???? 

Offline Alex

Re: Duplicate Payee
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »
If you edit all of the transactions with the payee that has the space to the other payee without the space, that payee will disappear.

This does sound like something I could fix in the importer tool, though. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
Fixing the payees with the trailing space in Financier would be very tedious -- one at a time (there are a lot of "bad" Costck transactions).  Since I have been running YNAB 4 and Financier in parallel, I think the easiest option would be to start over with a new Financier Budget and import everything from YNAB into Financier again.  Do you see any problems with that approach?

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
That sounds fine 👍

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »
@MacMichael let me know if the latest deploy to the converter tool fixes your problem! If possible, use chrome incognito mode and don't log in (to prevent needless cluttering if it doesn't work).

If it does, feel free to add you your account and delete the old one. :)

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
@Alex.  I re-imported yesterday, probably before you modified the tool.  I cleaned up the payee trailing spaces in YNAB then did the import.  Everything worked as expected.  Thanks for your concern and rapid fixes.

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:53:29 AM »
@Alex I could try re-importing an earlier version of my YNAB file as a test if you would like me to.  Does your new tool fix trailing spaces during the import process?  Anything else that I should look for? 

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
The fix basically trims whitespace from payees when importing. You don't have to test it if everything's working for you -- I'm fairly sure it works. But if you want to, importing into incognito mode should be good. :)

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
@Alex.  I tried the import again but it did not strip off the trailing space.  I used the converter tool link from your first post in the Announcements page.

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
@MacMichael Forgot to mention, your browser might be caching the site and you may need to trigger a hard refresh to get the latest version. :)

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
@Alex.  I cleared everything in the browser and re-converted/imported.  The imported Payee's do not have any trailing spaces -- thanks for the tip.  However, the Payee drop down list still shows 2 Costco's but neither one has a trailing space now.  I have refreshed the browser and closed/opened the browser (Firefox for Mac).  How do I get the Payee list to update to just one Costco?  I am still working offline (no sync) since I don't want to screw up my real budget.  This is such a nit, please don't spend much more time on it.

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm just going to ignore that issue for now. :)