Author Topic: Scheduled transactions  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Joel

Re: Scheduled transactions
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
I think the only issue with a "previous business day" button is can it be customized? From 2012-2015 I lived in a country where the business week was Sunday through Thursday.

The page Alex posted in the initial post would allow for that.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Online asromzek

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »
Count me in for the basic scheduled transactions (one off, monthly, 6 months, yearly). I used to have a bill that was charged every 8 weeks, but that went away a while back. I always thought it would be nice to have a few variable options like Once Every XX Days, Once Every XX Weeks, Once Every XX Months. Previous business day would be great, since that's how my paychecks work twice a month... although it's a little more complicated since holidays are taken into account, which can push a transaction back even further. Now that I think about it, I want automatic previous business day bumping, with holiday awareness, localized for each culture. ;)
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline nolesrule

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
The Amazon autoship used to allow for some pretty crazy N week frequencies. Not sure if it still does.

Online asromzek

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
@Alex, this should probably be a separate topic, but have you considered using the scheduled transaction data to feed another quick budget option?

Offline Alex

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »
@asromzek How do you envision doing that? Like to forecast based off of what scheduled transactions fall in the month?

If so, that could definitely be an option.
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Online asromzek

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
@asromzek How do you envision doing that? Like to forecast based off of what scheduled transactions fall in the month?

If so, that could definitely be an option.

Yes, it would be based on the upcoming scheduled transactions for the month. If you have already spent money in the category, the quick budget might want to take that into account, so the the amount to quick budget would be money spent already + total of upcoming scheduled transactions.

Offline nolesrule

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 07:07:32 AM »
@Alex I'd like to see scheduled transactions used for a graphic Cashflow monitor of accounts.

If you're not sure what that means, Microsoft Money did an awesome job with it and was a great way to monitor for needed transfers between accounts. It was built into their scheduler module. You can download the MS Money Sunset Edition to see what I'm talking about.

It's more of a nice to have, because future dated transactions in the register combined with a running balance can accomplish the same thing (though with a bit more work on the part of the user having to juggle the scheduler).

Offline Alex

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:59:32 AM »
I might have to download ms money this weekend to try it out. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline nolesrule

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
I might have to download ms money this weekend to try it out. :)

Like I said, a nice to have. Not a need. But it was one feature I really loved and miss since I stopped using MS Money (about two years ago). I still keep it installed so I can look back at historical transactions... came in handy when my wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room earlier this year and I was able to look up purchase prices for the insurance claim.

I pulled it up today thinking about providing a screen grab, but everything is so out of date that it looks fugly.

Offline jerryfmccarthy

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:07 AM »
 came in handy when my wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room earlier this year and I was able to look up purchase prices for the insurance claim.

Kanye?  :o

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
I use the following:

Weekly
Every Two Weeks
Every 4 weeks
Every 15th and last day
Monthly
Every 3 months
Yearly

I would love for "or previous business day" to be like a checkbox option when setting the recurrence. The 15th and last day is my paycheck, and it moves around so much because of weekends or holidays. I actually have my paycheck set up as 2 different monthly transactions for my sanity due to the fluctuations, but I would prefer a single entry.

Great idea for the checkbox option but would like to add 'next business day' too. Most likely if a payment lands on Saturday it would come out on Friday but if it landed on Sunday it would come out on Monday.

I would also appreciate a last day of the month option.
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline nolesrule

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »
came in handy when my wife's jewelry was stolen from a hotel room earlier this year and I was able to look up purchase prices for the insurance claim.

Kanye?  :o

Housekeeping. They found 1 earring out of 8 in the dryer. Hotel insurance reimbursed us.

Offline nolesrule

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:43 AM »
I use the following:

Weekly
Every Two Weeks
Every 4 weeks
Every 15th and last day
Monthly
Every 3 months
Yearly

I would love for "or previous business day" to be like a checkbox option when setting the recurrence. The 15th and last day is my paycheck, and it moves around so much because of weekends or holidays. I actually have my paycheck set up as 2 different monthly transactions for my sanity due to the fluctuations, but I would prefer a single entry.

Great idea for the checkbox option but would like to add 'next business day' too. Most likely if a payment lands on Saturday it would come out on Friday but if it landed on Sunday it would come out on Monday.

I thought about Next Business day after I made the post.

Perhaps it would require a set of radio buttons or a select box with options  for No Change/Next Business Day/Previous Business Day

I don't think we should make it so complex that it accounts for business holidays. Just days defined as weekends. Business holidays are all over the place depending on where you live, and if transactions are occurring in a zone other than which you live, that's the possibility of a different set of business holidays.

Online asromzek

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
I use the following:

Weekly
Every Two Weeks
Every 4 weeks
Every 15th and last day
Monthly
Every 3 months
Yearly

I thought about Next Business day after I made the post.

Perhaps it would require a set of radio buttons or a select box with options  for No Change/Next Business Day/Previous Business Day

I don't think we should make it so complex that it accounts for business holidays. Just days defined as weekends. Business holidays are all over the place depending on where you live, and if transactions are occurring in a zone other than which you live, that's the possibility of a different set of business holidays.

I updated my forum signature, which should be considered when reading anything that I post. :P

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 11:01:38 AM »
Code: [Select]
I updated my forum signature, which should be considered when reading anything that I post.
By now, I don't think you even need that...
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn