Author Topic: Development Expansion  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Whatsup

Development Expansion
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:27 PM »
Hi Alex,

Just wondering if you had any intention or at least thought about opening up development so that others who have the necessary skills could help contribute? That way others could be working on lower priority stuff whilst you work on the higher priority stuff or vice versa depending on your time/desires and others skill levels etc.

Anyway just a thought... 8)

Edit: Not trying to be pushy :) Very happy with the speed of development, much faster than some other software I know  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:54:59 PM by Whatsup »

Offline Valkano

Re: Development Expansion
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:19:42 AM »
Hello, if need i can help too with coding or spanish translation  ;)

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
I appreciate the thought, but I will not be open sourcing Financier in the near future. The further future, who knows? Also if I stop working on Financier for a good period of time I will open source it. :)

I hope you understand!
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline Whatsup

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
Thanks Alex,

Just thought I'd put it out there 8)

Offline ColinG

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
You are clearly doing a great job here, Alex. I am very tempted to go with you once scheduled transactions are in place. But in the past I have only ever dealt with software development outfits of a reasonable size and I worry what happens if for any reason you drop the ball? Supporting the small company is a nice thing to do and especially so if I get back the functionality (and quite possibly more) that was YNAB4...but there are risks!

Colin

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
That's a valid concern. :) That's actually the reason that I made Financier a paid app -- so that I have incentive to continue working on it.

If I ever stop development, I will definitely continue hosting and I will also open source it so you can run it standalone on your own computer. So, worst case, development will halt, but you'll still be able to use Financier!

What I want to avoid is leaving users in the dark so that they can't even view their budget info from Financier 10 years from now.

Offline ColinG

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
Fair comment, Alex. You sound a straight up sort of guy and you are certainly making a huge effort here. Hurry up with those scheduled transactions and I'll be over in a blink of an eye :-)

Colin

Offline ColinG

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 05:42:05 AM »
Hi Alex, don't mean to be pushy but how is the scheduled transaction development going? I really want to start using Financier but without scheduled I have no chance :-(

Thanks
Colin

Offline Alex

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
Ehhh, to be honest I haven't gotten around to it for the last couple weeks. I need to get around to it! :)

Offline ColinG

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 03:12:47 AM »
You are taking on a lot Alex and it must be difficult at times. It is this type of conflict between life and the project that worries me and certainly your very open and honest response re Scheduled Transactions does nothing to give me comfort. I really cannot see me buying into software, and software that I have to rely on, when there are no guarantees that there will be devs available to take it forward/deal with bugs. IMO you really do need to take on help and that is said with the greatest respect to you and your efforts thus far.

Offline Alex

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:27 AM »
No worries @ColinG! I understand if some things not implemented timely are deal breakers for some people.

Offline Whatsup

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »
Ehhh, to be honest I haven't gotten around to it for the last couple weeks. I need to get around to it! :)
Alex how is the scheduled transactions and mobile support going? Are we likely to see any implementation by the middle of the year?

Offline ColinG

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
I guess the lack of response says it all. From my perspective there is no future in this app as it really no more than a one man hobby. That is not something I can live with given my finances are involved so I have called it a day and deleted my budget. This is a great shame as Financier has/had great potential. Unfortunately the unwillingness to share/open up the development does not bode well for the future and will probably end up strangling the project.

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Alex has always maintained that he built Financier for himself and offered it to us and that we should take it as it is. I too wish that a few extra things could be added, especially as it is so close to being everything I need. However, if I take a step back and look at it just as it is, it's closer to the 100% I want than any other solution I found to date. (Assuming YNAB4 stops functioning).

If Alex is done, I hope he would say so and only then could we begin a conversation to fork Financier and find a developer, or find something else.
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline machei

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Yeah, feel the same. I'm patient if I know something's happening, but so far 2017 has been near-nothing. I'm really starting to fear this project has been back-burnered indefinitely, which really is a crying shame. The trello board hasn't changed in a loooooong time, the forums are drying up.

Sigh.