Author Topic: Status of Financier development  (Read 7761 times)

Offline Joel

Re: Status of Financier development
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Moving over isn't anything I'm nervous about--I'm just waiting so I can minimize the impact on my deeply-ingrained workflows. :)

Me too.

Once the mobile app breaks at YNAB4, those deeply-ingrained workflows are shot, so that will make the decision to switch easier.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline michaelmjd

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
I agree with everything said here.

I'm totally in once the mobile app is working. Plus, I have 4 college kids I'll encourage to sign up with Financier too.

Offline nchrtd

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 02:35:48 AM »
Yes Alex does a great job but I must admit it is the "one man show" thing that worries me. Is there absolutely no back-up should our worthy dev become unable to work on the software (long or short term)?
This concern is the barrier for me at the moment. I'm still using YNAB4, which works fine for now and for at least a while more, but I'd like to switch to Financier and I've paid the fee. I have no trouble with cyclic development, it's the long term that's holding me back.

Financier is very impressive already, but I'd be very interested in hearing Alex' thoughts on this 8)

edit: I'd love to pay for an account or two more, btw, so I have no issues with supporting this as far as I possibly can (wish I could do some actual coding help, which I can't though  :P )
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:37:43 AM by nchrtd »

Offline Mike

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
Yes Alex does a great job but I must admit it is the "one man show" thing that worries me. Is there absolutely no back-up should our worthy dev become unable to work on the software (long or short term)?
This concern is the barrier for me at the moment. I'm still using YNAB4, which works fine for now and for at least a while more, but I'd like to switch to Financier and I've paid the fee. I have no trouble with cyclic development, it's the long term that's holding me back.

Financier is very impressive already, but I'd be very interested in hearing Alex' thoughts on this 8)

Alex has commented on this in previous posts.
https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=204.msg1449#msg1449
https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=61.msg1152#msg1152

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:54:33 AM by Mike »
In the Cascade Mountains of Oregon

Offline nchrtd

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 03:44:17 AM »
Alex has commented on this in previous posts.
https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=204.msg1449#msg1449
https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=61.msg1152#msg1152
Right you are! I assumed otherwise based on this thread alone. Apologies.

Thanks for pointing those replies out to me!

Offline isildo

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
@Alex, how are the scheduled transactions coming?

Offline ColinG

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
Have asked the same question under the Development Expansion thread. No response there either :-(

Alex must be busy.

Offline ColinG

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Alex does not appear very active on these forums of late. Is he ok do we know?

Offline Paul

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
I'll bet he has got his head down working hard on those scheduled transactions (and moving home)! I do understand that it's always problematical for a developer to go public with any form of ETA when there can be so many unknowns ahead to trip him up!

Meanwhile I have been thoroughly enjoying my 100% conversion from YNAB to Financier ...

Offline ColinG

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
Good for you and of course you are entitled to your views. I have far too many scheduled transactions to even consider a manual approach. I get very jittery when the sole developer is absent from the website for whatever reason.

Offline Paul

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
@ColinG Apologies if I have offended you. Not intended!

You made me think about my scheduled transactions (which I made a list of from YNAB to keep me on track in Financier). There are 35 of them each month plus some others which are annual. In other people's experience is that about average or on the low side?

Offline michaelmjd

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
As someone who pastors a small rural church without a staff and also works occasional side projects for extra income, I can relate to Alex being stretched thin with all of the "hats" he is wearing. Of course, since many of us are paying customers, there is an expectation on our part to see some progress or at least to get a status report, which only adds to the pressure.

Maybe it would be good for Alex to consider bringing on a partner that, at the very least, can be active here on the forums with answering questions and providing some (any) kind of feedback. This would allow Alex to keep to his (busy) schedule and to help alleviate any concerns some have and to dispel fears that it their needed feature won't get done.

At the first of the year, I had intended to go with Financier completely (and even paid for a subscription), but with the lack of a way to do mobile (it's truly unusable on my phone), I have had to go back to YNAB4. I check the forums every day to check on the progress but, as of late, there's very little being discussed.

I am sure most would agree that we really want to see this project succeed and so I think, in my opinion, having another person to keep us up to date is something that needs to be considered so that we all continue to stay on board.

Offline ColinG

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
No offence taken, Paul :-)

I reckon my scheduled transactions are around the 35 to 40 mark. Personally I have no intention of inputting them manually. I was on YNAB and am currently using Goodbudget as an alternative - I will never go back to YNAB. GB is pretty good but I do miss the ability to budget for next month. However if that is the cost of automatic scheduling then so be it. That is why I am keen to know how the development is going and why I do (perhaps unnecessarily) worry about single developer software.

Offline Alex

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 06:04:23 PM »
Hi guys! Sorry about the concerns. :) Rest assured I'm still here, just busy as usual.

At this point, I'm not looking to bring on other people. While I realize development of Financier is important to people (as it is to me), I urge you to use Financier for what it is (and not what it will become). Otherwise, I'm afraid you might be disappointed since I cannot please everyone. :)

I still use and maintain Financier every day, and none of that will change for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking forward to the road ahead, personally!
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Online asromzek

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 09:45:52 PM »
I think I know what's been going on...
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.