Author Topic: Status of Financier development  (Read 8062 times)

Offline machei

Re: Status of Financier development
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:21 AM »
@Alex Please just let us know Financier is really progressing.  I am still doing double entry, Financier and YNAB4, and will continue doing so unless you indicate Financier is on hold.

He pretty much already has. This project is now classed as "minimum viable product". While there *might* be more stuff coming, don't hold your breath. There's no promise of anything more beyond the promise to keep what works today working. See this Reddit thread for info: https://www.reddit.com/r/financier/comments/61syds/so_who_here_is_using_this_as_their_fulltime/dfhw9hd/

Offline machei

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
I wasn't going to mention anything yet since I'm not sure how much effort I'll be able to put into it, but I've been dabbling with building a mobile site for checking balances and entering transactions. Learning Angular from the ground up has been fun, but it's slow going. If I were to pull off building a simple mobile site, would that help sway anyone toward sticking with Financier?

Instantaneously.

All I need is an iPhone app/mobile friendly way of entering transactions at point of purchase. I fully admit, I don't know the first thing about the difficulty level of what I'm asking for. No worries about commitments. At this point, being kicked in one nut by Jesse and the other by Alex, I have zero room for expectations anymore. Whatever happens, happens. Even if that's nothing at all.

Offline Alex

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Hi guys! So I hear you want a status update. Currently, I am putting all of my effort into my day job. That being said, I am taking time to keep Financier running smoothly (updating certs, maintaining backups, answering questions, etc). I hear some people are building 3rd party solutions (like @asromzek!) which is great.

But to be clear, not much dev work up to today. I would definitely like to get some progress on the mobile app at some point, but the next few months are crunch time at my day job (startup launch)! :parrot:
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
But to be clear, not much dev work up to today. I would definitely like to get some progress on the mobile app at some point, but the next few months are crunch time at my day job (startup launch)! :parrot:

The race is on... :parrot:
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Joel

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
I wasn't going to mention anything yet since I'm not sure how much effort I'll be able to put into it, but I've been dabbling with building a mobile site for checking balances and entering transactions. Learning Angular from the ground up has been fun, but it's slow going. If I were to pull off building a simple mobile site, would that help sway anyone toward sticking with Financier?

It's possible. I haven't given up hope on Financier...
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline Paul

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
I had not seen the Reddit thread. I must admit I am rather shocked. One of the two priorities announced before Christmas would have been enough for me to keep the faith (scheduled transactions or mobile said to be coming "soon").
Maybe I have built this up in my mind to more than was ever intended - but if I did then it seems there were a lot of others also indulging in their own wish fulfilment.
I admit @Alex that I felt one or two were being very harsh about the project over the past few months in these forums - now it seems that I am the one who must get real and stop always expecting the best from things.
Good luck for the future - I am sad for the resources you have expended on the website, forums, back end etc, maybe without a lasting return.

Offline machei

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
Maybe I have built this up in my mind to more than was ever intended - but if I did then it seems there were a lot of others also indulging in their own wish fulfilment.

You were absolutely not alone. I was where you are now a month ago. @Alex mentioned he might put up a blog post or something to clarify, but that hasn't happened yet. I think it probably should, given how many people are still in the dark about expectations. I honestly think the phrase "coming soon" should be removed from anything to do with the site because it's misleading. But again, not my call. I was just the messenger--thanks for not shooting me.  ::)

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »
@Alex Now there's no welcome look in your eyes when I reach for you, and now we're stating to criticize little things you do. It makes me just feel like crying, 'cause baby something beautiful is dyin'

Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline Whatsup

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:30 PM »

I wouldn't rule it out, but at the same time I'm not sure. I don't really want to give up on what looks like the only other alternative to YNAB at this point. I'd certainly give it a try and see if I could make it work. But other factors may be an issue as well(scheduled transactions).

I have also considered taking a look at the mobile app entry, and TBH I haven't ruled out having a "fiddle" and try and mock something up. But I'm not a programmer, I can usually "hack" something together but I'm not sure I want something "hacked" together when I rely on something as much as I do with YNAB

Edit: But a big thumbs up for giving it a go!  :parrot:

Offline Whatsup

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2017, 01:57:54 AM »
Well with YNAB updating the mobile apps to support the new dropbox api, I'll continue to use that for the foreseeable future.

Given that state of Financier development and the fact the community by and large has lost faith and the forum no longer active there seems little point in *hoping* or is it deluding myself things will improve from here. Someone mentioned financiar as abandonware in a reddit post a month or so ago, I have to say it certainly seems that way..

Given the state of Financier I don't see any point with the "Financier is under active development" webpage, its facebook page, forums, reddit  - Perhaps it's time they were changed/removed so as not to mislead anyone in the future....

I was sooo looking forward to an alternative to YNAB the company and YNAB the software.  Disappointing ..... :'(

Offline ramblinwreck

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Just wanted to put a voice of support here for Alex and Financier since everything seems to be negative these days (especially on /r/financier). I was willing to pay $12 a year for the features Financier advertised at the time I signed up, and it still does all those things for me. And it does them well. Do I look forward to transaction import and mobile? Absolutely. But c'mon guys there's nothing else even close to what Financier offers for TWELVE BUCKS, because if there were, we'd all be using that software instead.

Financier has been rock solid for me and I'm not jumping ship unless the software ceases to perform the function it performs today, or something better comes along. I don't anticipating either happening any time soon. Alex has made clear that he's keeping the servers going.

Alex, keep up the good work. I look forward to updates once you're able to get to them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM by ramblinwreck »

Offline Whatsup

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
For anyone who is still looking for an alternative for YNAB4, there may be hope of another contender :parrot: ....https://www.reddit.com/user/throwawaykrama

Still waaaay off, and I would suggest that people not get overly excited, as we have seen how that can turn out..... However I certainly like some of the ideas, and it looks pretty good from the mock ups. Certainly something to keep an eye on over time.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out... :-\

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
I like the calendar of scheduled transactions (and scheduled transactions in general).
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn