Author Topic: Cannot leave category blank  (Read 513 times)

Offline dreesemonkey

Cannot leave category blank
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:20:50 AM »
I apologize if this has been reported before.  If I'm entering a transaction and the payee already exists and it auto-assigns a category, when I clear the category out (to be assigned later) and save the transaction, it puts that auto-assigned category back in when it saves the transaction.

As an example, I withdrew $30 from the ATM.  I didn't end up using it as I expected, so I'm not sure what to categorize it as of yet.  It's also helpful when my spouse spends money and I enter the transaction, but don't know what category to assign it to.  The red unassigned number on my budget helps me remember.

This also happens with split transactions.  I feel like this was changed at some point because I used to be able to have uncategorized transactions.  Here is an example:

Edit:  Sorry, forgot the info you were looking for:
1.  Windows 10, Chrome 55.0.2883.87
2.  I did not see it
3.  1.4.9
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:45:14 AM by dreesemonkey »

Offline Alex

Re: Cannot leave category blank
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
Yeah, this makes sense. Should allow clearing.

I created this:

https://trello.com/c/Pp5XqYU2/326-clearing-category-after-one-is-selected-and-then-saving-doesn-t-actually-clear-the-category

Low-ish priority since it's definitely an edge case, but I should do it since the auto-fill should not force you to need to enter a category.

Note that not assigning a category and/or account is a realllly bad practice as there are no warning indicators besides a red background on the transaction category/account column, and it can make your budget lie to you until you assign a category. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline dreesemonkey

Re: Cannot leave category blank
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:39 AM »
Thanks Alex, I know it's kind of an edge case and don't worry, I watch my budget like a hawk so I wouldn't miss it :)

If you're budgeting to zero, it will also throw off your future months as overbudgeted.  To test this I entered a transaction with a new payee and no category for $1000 and my next month (March in this case) was -1000.