Author Topic: Everyone is against it except for me :-) :-) :-)  (Read 697 times)

Offline keyboard

Everyone is against it except for me :-) :-) :-)
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
I am new to this budgeting concept software ( Financier/yNAB/etc ) .  I like the Concept except for one area that really bothers me .  "Transfers"

I have brought this up before but was always told not to do it this way 
    " I have instructed the Bank to transfer $2.00 to my savings account every time I use the Debit Card"

I am being stubborn about this and cannot understand why I cannot do a simple transaction like just moving money around without "Categorizing" ...  I can understand "Giving money a Job", and like the rule.       But what I do not understand is when I do a "Transfer", why cannot it just be a "Transfer".  All I want to to, is to tell "Financier' that I am only moving money from one account to the other account. 

Obviously, I do not understand Developing programming but I do have to ask......

Am I the only one that would really like to have this option ?

Thanks for listening
Ron
Go for the 7 Ball  !!!!!!!

www.createsongstyles.com

Offline Joel

Re: Everyone is against it except for me :-) :-) :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
Your budget reflects all money in your on-budget accounts. Your categories define the purpose, not the account location.

When you move money between on-budget accounts, you do not enter a category on the transfer because it is like moving money from your front pocket to your back pocket.

The balances in off-budget accounts are not reflected in your budget. Typically, these accounts consist of debt that you are paying down or assets that don't affect your day-to-day (i.e. home value and investments). When you transfer money to an off-budget account, the money must leave your budget.

It sounds like you may want the account you are transferring to be on-budget instead of off-budget. Then you will say something along the lines of "but I don't want to spend the x amount in my savings account". If that is the case, create categories for the specific savings purposes and budget the existing money into those categories.

Hope that helps.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
There are 4 Account scenarios I can think of right now:

• On-Budget --> On-Budget
  • Off-Budget --> Off-Budget
  • Off-Budget --> On-Budget
  • On-Budget --> Off-Budget

1&2: If you transfer money from an on-budget account to another on-budget account (or off budget) you do not have to include a category.

3: If you transfer from an off-budget account to an on-budget Financier doesn't know where this income has come from. It is new to the Pool of budgetable money. You can assign the category as 'Income for this month' so that is budgetable in any category via the budget screen or directly to a category thereby increasing the amount available in that category but not the amount budgeted to that category.

4: Similarly, if you transfer from an On-Budget account to an Off-Budget you should tell financer where it has gone - it is seen as spending.

Imagine On-Budget Accounts and Off-Budget Accounts as separate countries. If you cross the border (a transaction) you must explain why with a category. If you move within the borders of the country, no explanation is needed.

Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline keyboard

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
Thanks everyone......After your explanations, I am more settled with the concept......

Ron
Go for the 7 Ball  !!!!!!!

www.createsongstyles.com