Author Topic: Logged in and all my changes for the last month are gone  (Read 614 times)

Offline ncx001

Logged in and all my changes for the last month are gone
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »
I've been doing updates about once a week and today I log in to start entering my receipts and it said last login was 27 days ago, not the 7 days that I actually have. Now all the transactions I've put in are gone. I think it may have something to do with the subscription as I tried the trial and let it expire. Is there anyway to recover the lost transactions, or do I have to go through and enter it all in over again?

Offline Alex

Re: Logged in and all my changes for the last month are gone
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:35 AM »
Financier works by syncing your transactions up to your trial expiring, and after that, your data no longer syncs. The idea is that your can use Financier like the free version after that, but if you lose the data locally on your computer, you will only be able to recover data right up to your subscription ending.

Unfortunately, unless you created a backup to your computer, your data will not be recoverable.

I'm really sorry that you lost your data after your subscription expired, I realize how frustrating that must be. Even though your subscription ended, I could probably do more to make it more apparent that your subscription has expired.

Chrome (and other browsers) don't guarantee that data won't be deleted at any time (they do it when space is becoming low on the computer, among other undocumented reasons). Which is why it's so important to have a sync mechanism like Financier and/or create local backups of your budget every now and then.

For anyone else -- You will get an email when your subscription expires, and you will also notice that it says "Subscription expired" where it used to say "Syncing" or whatnot.
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline ncx001

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
I think it should be made a lot more apparent that without a subscription for sync your data can be erased at any time. If I had known that I would have made a backup every time I made a change. Very disappointed and was going to pay for a subscription but after I lost all my data I'm going to look around for other options.

I also think that you should keep the synced data after the trial subscription expires. If I would have paid for a subscription the day after it ran out and my browser deleted the files I would be just as SOL. Glad I didn't.

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that! I definitely could use better signage for when the subscription expires. There's already a large red banner in the sidebar for when you're signed out/don't have an account warning you.

I made this story for that:

https://trello.com/c/falMY9Ig/330-provide-larger-warning-when-user-subscription-expires-that-syncing-is-not-occurring

If you ever decide to come back, Financier will be waiting. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.