Author Topic: How to Handle Checking Reserve with the Budget Screen  (Read 401 times)

Offline michaelmjd

How to Handle Checking Reserve with the Budget Screen
« on: March 10, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
Over the years (trying) to use this method of budgeting (YNAB and now Financier), I have struggled with correctly managing the budget screen. Since we are regularly using our $500 overdraft allowance each month to pay the bills, my budget screen shows overages. The problem is, I can't figure out how to make this relate to the actual numbers in my bank account.

Example:
If I use $300 of checking reserve (overdraft) this month and allocate those amounts, it will show me over-budgeted by $300. Now, when the bank transfers that amount into my account, I should then be at $0 for a balance. Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but I have a category called "overdraft" in which I record any money deposited or expensed from overdraft (when it's paid back).

In the software, my account ledger will show $0 and my budget should show -$300, right? This will tell me how much I've dipped into the $500 reserve that I get. The problem though, is the number on the budget screen never correctly relates to how much reserve I have used.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the software but how I enter the transactions...and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any insights?