Author Topic: Percentage based budget assignment.  (Read 451 times)

grom

Percentage based budget assignment.
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »
Rather than assigning a specific dollar amount toward a category, it'd be cool if you could set a percentage of the total amount marked as 'Income for [Month]'.  Or allowing some categories to be a 'percent' type and some a static 'dollar' type.

For example, May has an income of $1000.

Category 1 (dollar) : $200
Category 2 (percent) [30%] : $240
Category 3 (percent) [50%] : $400
Category 4 (percent) [20%] : $160

Offline Whatsup

Re: Percentage based budget assignment.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
I think thats a reasonable idea, I actually quite like it. Unfortunately its unlikely to be implemented, like the 99.9% of the good suggestions currently on the Trello board. @Alex is happy with where it is at and has provided no further updates since Feb. Despite saying he was going to do Scheduled Transactions and mobile entry for mobile he response since then has been essentially "arh I have to get on to that" implying it hasn't even been started.

I think personally anyone expecting any features added going forward should consider this a bonus, rather than waiting in hope.

So use it as is if you can or essentially find something that works for you. By the way I haven't found anything close to YNAB4, just a shame that financiar is sooo close to feature parity with YNAB4.

grom

Re: Percentage based budget assignment.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
Yeah, I realize the trajectory of the project at this point.

But I also think Alex will be true to his word about open sourcing it before letting it die too.  It might take a while I suppose.  Had I put so much effort into a project I wouldn't just let it go very easily.  But I think some day he'll be able to if that's what needs to happen. 

Of course my hope is that he's extremely successful with Financier and that with just a couple more features, it'll be worth paying for a lot more people and he'll make enough money to quit his day job!  :D