Author Topic: Financier Mobile (Unofficial)  (Read 9256 times)

Offline asromzek

Financier Mobile (Unofficial)
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:26 AM »
Since @Alex doesn't care about us anymore, I'm taking over Financier. We thank him for his services, and wish him well in his new position as 'janitor'. With him out of the way, we can start making progress again. First order of business: a functional mobile application.

I haven't been able to break into the web server he set up, so I will be hosting a new mobile website on my own server. He left the door wide open on the database, so we should be able to access our data easily enough. I will be using a newer version of Angular to build the site, so pretty much all of his code is totally useless.

So far, the basic login/logout logic is working. Next up is figuring out how to sync data to provide something to work with. I plan to start simple with account/category balance views, and a simple mobile transaction entry form. I'm going to hold off on posting a link until I have something that's somewhat functional and stable.

I think the future of Financier will be bright under this new regime ownership. I look forward to the mandatory loyalty that you will all bestow upon the company.

Disclaimer: Do not take this post seriously. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:37:06 AM by asromzek »
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Whatsup

Re: Financier Mobile (Unofficial)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:05 AM »
I bow down to my new financial overlord! asromzek! asromzek! asromzek!

Offline asromzek

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
Waiting for the ban in 3... 2... 1...

Offline MacMichael

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:20:01 AM »
@asromzek I know your post is tongue-in-cheek, but to members that haven't been around as long as some of us, it comes across as not so nice to @Alex.  Maybe you should edit the post and add some sort of emoji to soften the blow.  Just my two cents worth.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »
Done. ;)

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
I thought it was already assumed from the signature! :P
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline Joel

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
Now we have someone new to aim the pitchforks at!

In all serious, I respect both of your efforts even if I haven't made the switch yet.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline cracksys

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
Aw, I was hoping this is for real.

I can't wait for purple FinaNAB.  :parrot:

Offline asromzek

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
Status Update: Mild successes edition.

Not much new to report, other than that I'm wading through the pouchdb API documentation, and studying how @Alex built Financier around it. Very cool stuff. I managed to create a local database, and next up is attempting to sync with the real deal.

Free time has been in short supply this week, so I'm handing control of the company back to Alex.

Offline cracksys

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
Status Update: Mild successes edition.

Not much new to report, other than that I'm wading through the pouchdb API documentation, and studying how @Alex built Financier around it. Very cool stuff. I managed to create a local database, and next up is attempting to sync with the real deal.

Free time has been in short supply this week, so I'm handing control of the company back to Alex.
Good.

At this rate, we'll have feature parity with YNAB4 in no time.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
Status Update: Quack quack edition.

All may seem quiet now, but about 4,000 lines of new code have been added to the mobile app since Friday afternoon. Most of that is based off the core Financier code to ensure that the math and calculations will be the same between clients. I'd like to say I'm doing something revolutionary, but in reality I'm just reinventing the wheel... a couple hundred times over.

The good news is that the mobile app has potential for full functionality. The 3 main things that I plan to implement first are account balance views, category balance views, and transaction entry. After that I'll consider the other stuff like editing budget values, editing transactions, notes, reordering things, etc.

The bad news is that @Alex could change things at any time, so I'll have to stay vigilant to make sure the two clients don't fight with each other, and to propagate any bug fixes and new features.

I don't have a good estimation on when the first basic functions will be ready, but things are moving along rapidly behind the scenes. Im like a calm looking duck, kicking under the water...

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Happy to alpha / beta test it out for you once you get a little closer. I have a pretty good knack of finding bugs and I'm a daily user of Financier :)

Offline asromzek

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »
I just pushed up a few more changes which should make logging in and out is a little more stable. The initial sync has been a challenge to wrap my head around, mostly because I've departed from copying Alex's code, and doing things my own way. The core math stuff was pretty straight forward, but a lot of the Angular 1 UI/UX stuff doesn't really apply to what I'm working with. I'm also not a CSS expert, so I'm taking the easy route by using bootstrap to theme the thing. ;)

Again, the link: https://fmobile.asromzek.com
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:43:08 PM by asromzek »

Offline ottyacat

Offline asromzek

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Alright, can you guys see account balances, and are they correct?

Edit: Account sort order is not implemented yet.