Author Topic: What to do with a VPS?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline asromzek

Re: What to do with a VPS?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 08:24:53 AM »
@olaix bummer, have you ever tried https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/? They were always great when I used them.

@asromzek I'm going to try moving to nextcloud soon. Wish me luck.

Has anyone ever used shellinabox? Hard as I try I can't seem to get it up and running via a proxy / reverseproxy. I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just type what different blogs or forums tell me to type haha.

I went with a parallel fresh install in case I needed to revert back to owncloud. After it runs for a few days I'm going to go through the process of removing owncloud from my server, cleaning up config files and purging the database. I haven't touched this stuff in a year, and it all came flooding back better than I had hoped.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline olaix

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
@Sunflash According to "the internets" Private Internet Access are blocked by Netflix. I would think the only way of getting a stable VPN connection is to find someone willing to share a few Mbits of their own residential line. For payment, or a return of the favor with an exit point on my DSL. Something for craigslist? :D

Offline Alex

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I've been considering buying a synology NAS for months now. It would be nice to throw Nextcloud on it and whatnot.

@Sunflash that's fun... :) What does it buy you over SSH?
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
@olaix bummer! I wish the internets had better news for you!

@Alex the computers at work are pretty locked down, so I don't feel comfortable downloading putty or ssh-ing. The console that digitalocean provides is pretty laggy and I hate using my termux through my phone (but it works). So, shellinabox seemed like the best answer, but I may just have to wait until I'm home from work (probably the correct move).

Offline Alex

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
@Alex the computers at work are pretty locked down, so I don't feel comfortable downloading putty or ssh-ing. The console that digitalocean provides is pretty laggy and I hate using my termux through my phone (but it works). So, shellinabox seemed like the best answer, but I may just have to wait until I'm home from work (probably the correct move).

Fair enough. I guess I'm pretty lucky for unrestrained access @ work.

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
I removed owncloud and liked the idea of installing cozy cloud, but I'm a bit worried that it will interfere with the site I run off of the server. I run the site on wordpress with maria db /mysql and saw that cozy requires couchdb. Given my level of knowledge about this stuff, I'd rather not break something!

Offline Alex

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
If you have any questions about Couchdb, ask away (since Financier is built on CouchDB, I know a fair bit about it. ;) )

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
I gave up and installed nextcloud, but maybe another time I'll mess with couchdb and reach out.

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
Just started running #sysPass, a self-hosted, free password management software. Seems pretty secure. Anyone ever used it?

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »
Also, just in case anyone is curious I found a compilation of a ton of free, self-hosted apps on github. Found here:

https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted/blob/master/README.md#gateways