Author Topic: 📝 I need YOU - To help write docs!  (Read 721 times)

Offline Alex

📝 I need YOU - To help write docs!
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
At the request from many people, I am hosting a wiki site for Financier documentation.

This is an experiment. I'm pretty bad with explaining through docs stuff like this, so I'm looking for help! :)

Anyone can edit and contribute. I have a beginnings of a "start guide" but it's really rough in it's current state.

Worth noting is each page has a "Talk" section (see the tab) if you want to have a discussion about any particular page without making changes.
Also worth noting is the wiki site supports uploading images.

Wiki site 📝 docs.financier.io

Anyways - I might be tinkering with this, but I'd absolutely LOVE help from people! ❤️ Please let me know if you can help out!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:47:43 PM by Alex »
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline Joel

Re: 📝 I need YOU - To help write docs!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »
This is great. I just need scheduled transactions to make the switch and I'll work to be the biggest contributor! :)
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Offline infotographe

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:59:58 PM »
How many languages are supported in Financer app?

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
How many languages are supported in Financer app?

Hi @infotographe! We current support Catalan, German, English, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, and Swedish. :)

Is there any particular language you want support for?

Offline infotographe

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
French would be great… for me and a lot of people in my country too! :-) If I can help with that, it would be my pleasure to participate.

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
French would be great… for me and a lot of people in my country too! :-) If I can help with that, it would be my pleasure to participate.

Awesome, I'll PM you the spreadsheet of translations!

For anyone else reading this: If you want to contribute to Financier's supported languages, just shoot me an email or PM. 👍

Offline infotographe

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Got it, thanks! I'll be working at it as soon as I can.
--
Update: Done with the French translation!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:40:58 PM by infotographe »

Offline asromzek

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »
I never took translations into account with the mobile app... I should remedy that.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
I have started writing some stuff, more brain dumps for the moment. It lacks some logical organization at this point and the functions to be documented need to defined and explained.
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »
I have started writing some stuff, more brain dumps for the moment. It lacks some logical organization at this point and the functions to be documented need to defined and explained.

That's awesome!! Seriously, thanks. I'll try to help out this weekend a bit as well.

Offline Rhuarc

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »
I am in the process of writing full examples of dealing with Credit Cards.  I can add this to the wiki if you would like?

Here is what I have so far, and I have screenshots I can add in as well.

Ok, so I realize I am new to the forums and to Financier, but I have been a dedicated user of YNAB4 for several years.  I'll give my 2 cents at explaining credit cards, and maybe my explanations will help others.  Or it will completely confuse people!

To me there are 3 scenarios when using credit cards.

1) Decreasing amount owed on a CC (making a payment only)
2) Increasing amount owed on a CC (using a CC to cover expenses)
3) Paying a CC in full every month (paying for BUDGETED monthly expenses using a CC, then paying off the full amount)

I will address these 3 scenarios using a sample budget with screenshots.

Scenario 1 - Here we are talking about a Credit Card where we owe something but we are not using to cover additional expenses, we are only paying down the CC debt.  Let's say our minimum payment is $50, but we decide we are going to pay $100 on the card.  We need to account for that in our budget, so we put $100 into that category as you can see here.

Pic2

In the above image you can now see the category balance for Credit Card 1 is showing -$900, but the Account Balance is showing -$1,000.  This means that payment has now been processed yet.  Now lets say today rolls around and the payment to the credit card from our checking account gets made.  We enter that in you Checking account register as such.

Pic3

As you can see the transfer from Checking 1 to Credit 1 does not have a category associated with it.  This is because it is already in our budget.  We are just moving the money around.  Next if you look at the budget you will see the category balance for Credit Card 1 matches the Account Balance for Credit Card 1.  This means the payment has gone through.  Notice you DO NOT see any transaction in the outflows section of the budget for Credit Card 1.  This is normal.  You can tell the payment has gone through when the Category balance matches the Account balance.

Pic4

This process would continue every month.  Budget $100 to Credit Card 1, the Category balance will show $100 less than the Accoutn balance until the payment goes through.  Once it does then the Category and Account Balances will match.

This is all there is to paying down Credit Card Debt!  But wait you say...what about interest?  When your statement comes out you will go and see how much interest you were charged for that month.  This gets added as an outflow transaction to teh Credit Card Account using the Credit Card category as you can see below.

Pic 5

And now when we look back at the budget we can see the outflow in the Credit Card category, and the Category Balance still matches the Account Balance because the payment we budgeted for HAS been made for this month.

Next we deal with Increasing our Debt.

Offline Rhuarc

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
I have gone ahead and created a new section called Guides, and created a guide called Using Credit Cards.The 1st section is up, I'll be working ont he other 2 sections throughout the day.

Offline Rhuarc

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »
The following has been added to the Documentation Wiki

1   Intro
2   Scenarios
2.1   Making a Credit Card Payment
2.2   Charging to a Credit Card
2.3   Using a Credit Card and Paying in Full Monthly
2.4   Dealing with Credit Card Interest and Fees

https://docs.financier.io/index.php/Using_Credit_Cards

Just a few last screenshots and it should be finished.  If anyone has any feedback feel free to let me know here on the forums or in the discussion area of the Wiki.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:05 AM »
The following has been added to the Documentation Wiki

1   Intro
2   Scenarios
2.1   Making a Credit Card Payment
2.2   Charging to a Credit Card
2.3   Using a Credit Card and Paying in Full Monthly
2.4   Dealing with Credit Card Interest and Fees

https://docs.financier.io/index.php/Using_Credit_Cards

Just a few last screenshots and it should be finished.  If anyone has any feedback feel free to let me know here on the forums or in the discussion area of the Wiki.

I love it! My only feedback would be people will be wondering where the "blue" setting is. ;)

Offline Rhuarc

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »

I love it! My only feedback would be people will be wondering where the "blue" setting is. ;)

That is actually a good point!  I will add a little blurb with links to the Stylish themes!  :P