Author Topic: 1/17 Planned downtime  (Read 300 times)

Offline Alex

1/17 Planned downtime
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
I am planning some downtime for this evening, at around 8:00 PM CST for maintenance. The downtime will last up to 15 minutes.

In this time I will be changing the SSL certificate provider to Let's Encrypt, which will include automatic renewal so that it doesn't have to be manually renewed every year.

This will remove any chance that there are SSL certificate expiry issues in the future if I forget to renew a decade from now. ;)

As always, you should only expect a disruption in the syncing mechanism or accessing Financier on devices that have not visited app.financier.io before since Financier works completely offline in your browser!

I will post updates when I start and when changes are complete. :)
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline asromzek

Re: 1/17 Planned downtime
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
You weren't already using Let's Encrypt? ;)
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
I'm not as hip as you @asromzek. ;)

(serious) I've been for the forums, wiki, etc. since they're shared hosting, and it's click-to-launch via cpanel for that.

However, app.financier.io is not shared hosting, and is a completely separate custom app. I actually tried to use let's encrypt back before launching, but gave up because it was so new and the tools weren't as developer friendly... still felt beta. I always intended on switching to Let's Encrypt once it matured a bit. And that point is now! :D

As you can see from the link above, staging is already using Let's Encrypt.

Also the root static site (financier.io) is HTTPS via cloudflare, since it's hosted on gitlab.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:40:07 PM by Alex »

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
Going down in a minute a little earlier than expected!

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
... And we're back! :parrot:

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:52:09 PM »
If anyone is curious about the technical details of the Let's Encrypt implementation Financier uses, I wrote a rather lengthy (and rough) blog post here:

https://blog.financier.io/demystifying-lets-encrypt-1e9d76c3473f

:)

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:58 PM »
If anyone is curious about the technical details of the Let's Encrypt implementation Financier uses, I wrote a rather lengthy (and rough) blog post here:

Interesting read, thanks! And whilst I am at it, the service has been running flawlessly so thank you! It's also nice to see you a little more active in community again. Welcome back :)