Author Topic: Should Financier ever show me a 404 error?  (Read 238 times)

Offline Rhuarc

Should Financier ever show me a 404 error?
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »
This is a question related to a post I saw on the Facebook YNAB fans page.  YNAB seemed to have problems loading for someone, and they are figuring out if it is their internet or the actual YNAB service. 

My question is, theoretically, Financier should never show me it can't connect, correct?  If my internet is out it will use the cached version perpetually, as long as I don't clear my cache, and if the Financier servers are down same thing.  If this is all true does it apply for the mobile version as well?

The mobile portion is important because i do periodically want to enter transactions or work on my budget when my device is in airplane mode.

Thanks!

Online asromzek

Re: Should Financier ever show me a 404 error?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
The main Financier app should work completely offline if the central auth/sync server or your internet connection is down. Once connectivity is restored, any offline changes that are made should automatically be pushed. @Alex did a great job building a solid platform, and the app has performed well through a variety of connection issues that I've witnessed over the last year and a half.

Unfortunately, phones and their browsers are a little more unpredictable with the mobile web app. I attempted to recreate the offline capability of the main app, but each browser has its own set of quirks, and I ended up removing the offline capability for a specific reason that I can't recall. My plan was revisit this once the mobile app was a little fully featured, and maybe now is the right time to put that back toward the top of the list. For now, using the mobile app requires a constant WiFi or data connection.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Rhuarc

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
The main Financier app should work completely offline if the central auth/sync server or your internet connection is down. Once connectivity is restored, any offline changes that are made should automatically be pushed. @Alex did a great job building a solid platform, and the app has performed well through a variety of connection issues that I've witnessed over the last year and a half.

Unfortunately, phones and their browsers are a little more unpredictable with the mobile web app. I attempted to recreate the offline capability of the main app, but each browser has its own set of quirks, and I ended up removing the offline capability for a specific reason that I can't recall. My plan was revisit this once the mobile app was a little fully featured, and maybe now is the right time to put that back toward the top of the list. For now, using the mobile app requires a constant WiFi or data connection.

Thanks!  My personal opinion would be that duplicating the offline functionality of the main app should be fairly high on the priority for mobile.  In order for Financier to truly feel like an application, both on desktop and mobile it needs to have the same kind of functionality that apps have as opposed to web pages. 

Just my two cents!  ;)

Offline Joel

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
Interesting. Mobile access without data is a deal breaker for me. We use Ting for our mobile phone service so rely heavily on WiFi. I want to be able to enter transactions while out and about, while being able to sync once I return to WiFi.
Biking and budgeting my way to early retirement!

Ting referral: https://zp8h3m5ceig.ting.com/
Lastpass referral: https://lastpass.com/f?27278462

Online asromzek

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
Yeah, there are some annoying differences between iOS and Android in regard to the offline mode working correctly. I really need to get a hold of an android phone and spend the time to make it work right.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
PM me your address and I'll send you an old one.
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn