Author Topic: Interpreting Commas  (Read 269 times)

Offline Crotha

Interpreting Commas
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
Hallo!

I've posted on reddit already, but just found there is a forum here - it seems to be more active than the sub? :D

Anyway, I have a feature-request regarding how commas are interpreted:
You see, unfortunately, we don't use dots but commas for the separation of the decimals. Our number format is 1.000,00
And I have on my numblock a comma, not a dot. So putting in amounts, I make errors about 3/4th of the time (if not more), because I am using the comma and 4,23 will be translated into 4,230.00.
Most errors are quite easy to find (because they are ridiculously high numbers!) but it's annoying anyway.

Couldn't there be, idk, a setting on which to use? Or just assume that every comma or dot is used for the decimal (because, I assume, no one puts in "1,000.23" but "1000,23" anyway)

Or some other way around, I am not seeing yet? Maybe I am missing a setting somewhere?

Thanks! :)
Lg

Offline cracksys

Re: Interpreting Commas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
AFAIK, Financier should be using regional and currency setting set on your OS.

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
@Crotha Did you check your regional settings?

Another hack workaround if that didn't work, could be to use something like AutoHotkey to replace the comma with a decimal only in Financier:

Code: [Select]
SetTitleMatchMode,2
#IfWinActive, - Financier
$,::Send .
#ifwinactive
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:26:23 PM by Billy_McSkintos »
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline Crotha

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
Yeah, regional settings... didn't check that.

But I don't want to change them - I am mainly browsing on english sites, and they pick up the regional setting and auto-translate. Every time. It's horrible.
And I'm sorry to say, but financier in german is just plain strange and the column have to be wider to accomodate the longer words...   
Can't there be a switch or something?

The option is obviously already there, but for now it's auto-selected. I'd REALLY prefer a manual selection over changing my regional settings.

I'll have to try the autohotkey-thing :D Never thought of such an option! Thanks for the replys!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:31:34 AM by Crotha »

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
@Crotha If you have better german translations, please let me know. :) I'd love to improve them.

ALso yes, Financier detects regional settings. I believe firefox has plugins to allow you to select regional settings on a per-site basis. Financier could also potentially add the ability to manually select.
I am the Financier owner/admin/coder dude.

Offline Crotha

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
I really thought about the translation already - and there are just no better words for it, if you don't want to use "Anglizismen" (english words used in german sentence), I have no idea how to improve it :(   
It just feels so...clunky in german. 

That's really not the translator's fault, it's the language in this case.

And I just found out, FF has containers. So there surely is something! Thanks :)