Author Topic: Financier Mobile v1.0.X  (Read 147 times)

Offline asromzek

Financier Mobile v1.0.X
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Alright, it's been a while, but I finally had some down time to write a little code and get back on track with separating the core data/syncing code from the mobile app. And with that, Financier Mobile v1.0.0 is officially released. The core code has been separated into a library called 'financier-core-unofficial' and its version currently sits at v1.0.2. I will have some more info and/or actual documentation once I'm sure everything is stable.

Well, as I'm typing this... after pushing the update and testing successfully on my phone, I found that syncing is not working well on my wife's phone. I think it may be a browser issue (need to clear the cache or something), so I will continue testing. If anyone else has any issues including what I just described, please let me know. I have the previous mobile app site backed up and should be able to downgrade quickly if needed.

There are zero new features added, since I wanted to look for differences after ripping the app in two pieces. I'll probably start working on a few small things if the app looks stable enough.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline asromzek

Re: Financier Mobile v1.0.X
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
Ha... well, I'm wrong... I managed to overwrite my backup, so downgrading might be difficult. I'm having a variety of syncing issues now across a couple of devices. The spinner simply won't start up in some cases, and doesn't appear to be tied to a specific device, OS, or browser.

Again, let me know if you're having issues as well. Hopefully I didn't break it permanently.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
Alright, downgraded for now... I'll have to sort out why syncing was only working about 25% of the time before updating again.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
v1.0.5 released: Now that I have a better understanding of how npm versioning works (long story), the restructured app is finally a go.

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
Seems to be working ok as far as sync is concerned, I have noticed that its taking longer and longer to open my budget each time, its got years worth of data in it but the desktop app doesn't suffer the same problem. It takes anywhere from 35-50 seconds to open the budget after it has completed syncing and clicking on the open button.

Don't know if there is anything you can do about this but thought i would mention it anyway as its always been bad but it does feel like its gotten worse.

Nexus 5x with Chrome.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
Does it appear appear to be syncing the full budget database every time you load the app, like it's doing an initial sync (spinner goes crazy for a while)?

In my case, after clearing the browser history on my iPhone, the initial sync takes quite a while since I have about 2 years of budget data. After that, the app loads up in a second or two each time, and the sync only takes a few seconds to pull any changes that I made on our other devices.

That's how it should work on Android as well, as long as you're not clearing your local budget data or browser history.

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 06:52:51 PM »
No not as far as i can tell, it does a sync as the buttons are greyed out whilst the sync occurs which normally takes a few seconds. After the initial one and then when you click the open budget button it does nothing and then about 40 seconds later the budget screen opens, no spinner etc.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:55:06 PM by ottyacat »

Offline asromzek

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »
Sounds like your phone is struggling to crunch the numbers when opening the budget. It loads and runs through every transaction and calculates account balances, then does all the budget category math for each month and some other stuff.

I looked up the specs on the Nexus 5x and it's similar in horsepower to the iPhone 6s I've been testing with, so I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference in load time. Have you tried any other browsers to see if the load time is the same?

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 05:28:11 AM »
Yep looks like that could be the case, I also tried on Firefox with pretty much the same result. If I load up the official web application it opens in about 8-10 seconds on the same phone so still not amazing but a fair bit quicker. I have about 4 years worth of data in my account.