Author Topic: Financier Mobile v1.2.X  (Read 536 times)

Offline asromzek

Financier Mobile v1.2.X
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:37:17 AM »
v1.2.0 released: BAM, payee management. You can rename and combine multiple payees into one. All transactions and split sub-transactions are automatically updated when combining. Upgraded from "font awesome" 4 to 5, so some of the icons are going to look a little different (maybe better? maybe not?).

I fought with making this work for hours upon hours upon hours, and found that the core library had a few simple but significant bugs. Nothing damaging to the data integrity, but objects that were supposed to go away (payees that were combined) would stick around annoyingly. After hammering that out, everything that was added looks much simpler than the effort that went into it.

After opening your budget, the payee manager can be accessed through the menu button in the top left of the app. Selecting a single category will allow you to edit it, which only allows for changing the name (for now). Selecting multiple payees will give you the option to combine them into one. I would explain more about how this works, but it's 4am and I'm half asleep.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:58:13 AM by asromzek »
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline asromzek

Re: Financier Mobile v1.2.X
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »
v1.2.1 released: Polished up payee manager list. Added "clear all selected" button. Enabled budget loading when navigating directly to the payee manager.

This update sponsored by: Coffee.

Online uberdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:36 AM »
Love it. Might I suggest a possibility to change the suggested category?

Offline asromzek

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »
Love it. Might I suggest a possibility to change the suggested category?

Currently, the main app and mobile app set the category auto suggest value for a payee when you enter a transaction. It’s basically a memory of the last category used for the payee. Changing the setting manually would only apply to the next transaction that you enter for the payee, and it would be overwritten if the transaction is set to a different category. I decided to leave out the setting since it won’t have much of an impact on the behavior.

What I would really like to implement is a default category suggestion for a payee. If set, the category would always be set to the default when entering a transaction. If not set, then the normal auto suggest memory would take effect. This requires a change to both apps, so I would have to figure out how to do it in the main app, or work with @Alex to make it happen.

Edit: After thinking about it a little more, I can probably implement a separate default category suggestion setting for payees, and only the mobile app would utilize it. The category auto suggestion memory would still work the same in the background.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:52:10 AM by asromzek »

Offline cracksys

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
I'm going to post this at every version thread.

BRING THIS TO MAIN APP!!

:parrot:

Online uberdrops

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:07:51 AM »
Ok, so this works differently than I thought. Another suggestion: I have some general recipients where the category switches regularly. For example Kiosk or Restaurant. Sometimes its private use, sometimes its food I eat while at work, which I budget differently. Would a top 3 most used categories per payee be possible?

Offline asromzek

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 06:02:22 AM »
Yes, displaying a list of the 3 most frequently used categories after selecting the payee is definitely possible. In fact, the app already does something similar in reverse when entering a transaction from the budget view for a specific category. It calculates the three most used payees for the category, and displays it above the full list. The logic should be the same for showing a list for showing a list of frequently used categories if the payee is set first. The app can still auto set the category to what was used for the last transaction, and the frequently used list will make it easy to switch for situations like you describe.

I run into the same situation often when I go to our local grocery store that has a gas station out front. When I have to enter two transactions in a row, one for food and one for filling my car up, itís a toss up if the auto suggested category will be correct next time. Although, I have another secret project in the works that might take care of this issue...

Offline asromzek

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »
FYI,

I am officially bogged down by a complete redesign of the entire application structure/styling. When I started, this was my first real project as a "web developer", so early on I did not apply a lot of common design patterns that I have come to understand more much more fully. Most of the app was pieced together one chunk at a time like Frankenstein, and once it looked good enough or mostly worked, I moved on to the next piece. Yeah, total n00b. ::)

I have decided to "fix" the design/layout/style inconsistencies throughout the app, so I'm putting all new feature development on hold until I'm happy with every single component. It's going to take some time, but maintainability and the ease of adding new features will be significantly increased. I really really really don't want to do this, but it was like jumping into quicksand when trying to weave in a new feature to the transaction editor. I finally gave up and decided to do it right.

So, v1.3.0 will be coming Soonô.

Edit: By the way, if I do my job right you'll be asking yourself why the app looks and works nearly the same.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:54:47 AM by asromzek »

Offline asromzek

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 04:44:33 PM »
I often have to stop and ask myself, "How on earth did I end up in this situation?", and it's usually self inflicted. The app style/restructure overhaul is going to take some time, mostly due to the tedious task of undoing all of the Frankenstein code I wrote. I spent most of the week refactoring the same 3 or 4 files (over, and over, and over, and over) until finally landing on a structure that works and can be cleanly reused throughout the app. It's only the tip of the iceberg, but a lot of the design decision making process is out of the way. Now I can stick to my new personal guidelines, rebuilding every page piece by piece. When I'm done, I will try to tally up the total number of lines changed throughout the project.

I did have one small but notable victory. If you have ever entered a long memo for a transaction that also has a long category name, you might find that the two values overlap in the account transaction list. I finally figured out how to property implement truncating of the memo with and ellipsis (...) when it collides with the category name (It's really not that difficult).  Actually, I haven't gotten to the transaction editor yet, but I figured out how to do it in another location. That issue has been on my hit-list for way too long.

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
I did have one small but notable victory. If you have ever entered a long memo for a transaction that also has a long category name, you might find that the two values overlap in the account transaction list.

Yep nice, im quite verbose with my descriptions and ran into this issue from time to time. Would also like to say I wasn't really fussed one way or another when you announce the new advanced calculator function but I have used it countless times already now and it really helps. 

Offline asromzek

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »
Iím still making progress, averaging about a page per day. The account view with the transaction list is currently underway and itís probably the ugliest since it was one of the first pages built. The budget view is up next and that will probably take the longest due to the shear complexity of the layout. There are a lot of moving parts, and Iím taking this opportunity to break small, common chunks out of the layout into their own components that can be reused. An example is the amount indicator surrounded by a red/green/gray bubble. It was implemented differently on each page, so I made a separate component that can simply be plopped down wherever an amount bubble is needed. That way, they all look the same and I can tweak the layout for all of them throughout the app by changing one file. I should have done this from the beginning, but I shot for functional vs. well formatted code, so now I get to pay for rushing things. :P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:37:30 PM by asromzek »

Offline asromzek

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 06:51:01 AM »
Wednesday morning update: Spent 4 hours fighting with the new layout stuff last night after discovering that list scrolling was not working as it should on my iPhone (header wasn't locking to the top, and kept scrolling off screen). Rage quit and went to bed with zero new lines of code written for the evening after trying what I thought was everything under the sun. Woke up and something clicked...

Changed 4 lines of code and scrolling works again. I think that's enough to call today a total success.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 10:09:59 PM »
Monday update: Thousands upon thousands of lines of code added, removed, or changed so far. The next update will be a hefty upgrade, and not just a layout redesign like I had planned. There are a few new features in the works that will make managing your budget complete (add/edit/remove budgets, add/edit/remove accounts, etc.). It's a good time to fill those gaps in as I go through the app structure page by page. I'm also learning how to add some flair like menus that slide up down smoothly, or modals that fade in and out. Some of that stuff isn't necessary, but it makes the app feel a lot nicer to use. I've been putting in about 2 to 3 hours per night and it's been a slow, tedious process. When I get closer to having a functional app, I may put together a "beta" site (without syncing enabled) that you can play with or test without interfering with your main budget.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:36:19 AM by asromzek »

Offline asromzek

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
Another Monday update: Ran into some quicksand with work and family stuff last week and weekend. Progress was still made slowly, but nothing much new to report. Still trudging through fixing a bunch of page layout stuff after making a change that broke everything thoroughly. Nothing much on the schedule for tonight, so Iím going to pick up some programming beverages on the way home and hop to it.

Wait... it's Tuesday...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:20:25 PM by asromzek »

Offline keyboard

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
We all are grateful that you are here !!!!!
Go for the 7 Ball  !!!!!!!

www.createsongstyles.com