Author Topic: Mobile App UI Update  (Read 871 times)

Offline asromzek

Mobile App UI Update
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »
After a number of false starts over the last few months, I finally sat down and put about 8 hours into the mobile app over the weekend. About 1/3 of that time was trying to figure out where I left off and what I was doing back in July. Right now I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm going to try to put about 2 hours per evening into the app until the entire app UI code is cleaned up. After that I can finally get back into to working on some of the bells and whistles that I've wanted to add for a long time, as well as some other larger project ideas that I've been kicking around.

We're only a few weeks (or maybe days) away from adding a new human that will be sharing our living space. Most of my time over the last several months has gone into preparing for that, but I think we're finally coasting into the home stretch. I should have a week or two off work to deal with things, so I'm hoping to squeeze some side project development in between child maintenance sessions.
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline keyboard

Re: Mobile App UI Update
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Best of Health to the new addition  :) :)
Go for the 7 Ball  !!!!!!!

www.createsongstyles.com

Offline uberdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:33:00 AM »
And say goodbye to sleep. Highly overrated anyways  :parrot:

Offline keyboard

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
After that I can finally get back into to working on some of the bells and whistles that I've wanted to add for a long time, as well as some other larger project ideas that I've been kicking around.

Really looking forward to this.......  I have a couple Finance Apps that I use and for what ever reason, Financier is "Rock Solid" and fast. I do not want to give it up.  I sure miss the "Move Money" tool (wink wink)

Ron
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:13:50 AM by keyboard »

www.createsongstyles.com

Offline asromzek

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
I made some solid progress last week, and got derailed over the weekend due to some other commitments. We're now in a holding pattern for the new human arrival, and that should be happening in the next week or two or three. Hopefully I can keep chipping away.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
Just a short FYI. I'm chipping away when and where I can on the mobile app UI update. I was stuck on a very small and very annoying issue for about 2 weeks and finally noticed that I had two lines of code out of order. Awesome. With that finally solved, I was able to move on and things are progressing at a slow but steady pace. Coding is easy when my wife and new turd human are sleeping in the other room.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
Here's a small amount of proof that I have been writing some code. This is a concept for a new quick budget modal.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
The coding continues...

I had two solid days to work on the mobile app this week, and I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Right now the worst part is under construction: the split transaction editor. It works, but it has always been a little clunky to use. It might not change much, but I have a few improvements worked out already. If all goes well, I might have something to show off in the next week or two. Although, that's a big if. Almost every single line of UI/UX code has been touched, which sometimes means deleting and rewriting entire sections. I'm sure there will be some unexpected brokenness, so it might take a lot of testing to make sure most of the bugs are worked out.

The last release of the mobile app was on July 21st, 2018, so this update has been a long time coming. I may put together a standalone "beta" site (which won't sync your actual budget) to get some feedback before making the new version live. I'm adding the ability to create and add/edit/remove budgets, accounts, and categories, so the app should be almost fully testable without requiring syncing with the main app.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:12:33 AM by asromzek »

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 12:23:56 AM »
I may put together a standalone "beta" site (which won't sync your actual budget) to get some feedback before making the new version live. I'm adding the ability to create and add/edit/remove budgets, accounts, and categories, so the app should be almost fully testable without requiring syncing with the main app.

Sounds good, always happy to beta test.

Offline Roddas

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 06:23:58 AM »
This sounds very exciting. Is the beta limited to a certain group of people or can anyone apply?

Offline asromzek

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
It will be open to everyone, and fully functional except that it will only work on your phone browser and won't sync with any other devices. There will be a few minor UI/UX differences that change how you interact with the budget, so I figured it would be good to get some feedback before letting it loose in the wild. I also want to catch as many bugs as possible before letting it interact with your production budgets. I changed a lot of code. :o

Offline asromzek

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »
Here are a few screenshots of the current design iteration. There are still a few significant things to iron out (add/edit/delete budgets, accounts, categories and some other stuff), but I'll put it out there are soon as I have it stable enough to play with.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »
I sort of fell off the development bandwagon again over the last month or two (obviously) due to some work and family issues, but I got back on the horse this week and some significant progress was made in the last few days. It is now possible to create/edit/delete budgets and accounts. That took a little more effort than I expected, but it's working well now.

Up next is the same functionality for categories, and then a some payee management improvements that I forgot about. The last mobile app release was on July 21st, 2018, so my goal is to get the next version out before that same date this year. I tallied it up, and the current git branch has accumulated 167 commits since the last release, so it's going to be a big update worthy of "2.0.0". I'm also surprised that no one noticed the Easter egg in that last set of screenshots. 8)

Offline keyboard

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
I think that I could speak for all the "Financier" Users in saying that all the work you are doing is really appreciated.....

Ron from Canada

www.createsongstyles.com

Offline asromzek

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
Thank you, I'm doing what I can. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a hiccup this weekend so I have to may have to put development on hold for a couple of days. A deer ran out on the highway when I was traveling 75mph (120 kph), and my car received a small dent. It might be a long week.