Author Topic: Mobile App Beta 2.0.0-beta.8 (Geo-located Payees!)  (Read 241 times)

Offline asromzek

Mobile App Beta 2.0.0-beta.8 (Geo-located Payees!)
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »
Disclaimer: Backup your budget before testing the beta mobile app, and make sure to pay attention to the recommendations that were posted here to avoid bloating your database: https://discuss.financier.io/index.php?topic=407

Double Disclaimer: This is a big update, so a backup is double recommended.

Changes/Fixes (Where to start...)
  • Updated entire app font from Verdana (default) to Robtoto
  • Adjusted amount bubble value shadows to make them appear as if they are popping out instead of sinking into the bubble.
  • Added transaction search box placeholder text.
  • Removed auto-focus on some of the textboxes since it doesn't work well on iOS.
  • Migrated app project to vue-cli 3/webpack 4. This was a major change that brings the entire project to up to current.
  • Replaced "mathjs" library with "expr-eval" to fix calculator math bug after updating the project. (A total day was wasted fighting with that)
  • Fixed back button navigation issues when certain editors are open.
  • Enabled location services for geo-located payee feature.
  • Overhauled payee manager and payee combining editor.
  • Added the ability to clear all location data from the payee editor view.
  • Added a filter to display only payees that have location data saved.
  • Added transaction list to payee editor. This list displays all of the transactions linked to the payee.
  • Added saved location list to payee editor. The coordinates and distance/direction to payee are calculated and listed for each. Individual locations can be deleted.
  • Added saved location editor. The default category for the payee/location can be changed, and a the location can be changed by dragging a pin around on an embedded map.
  • Added location saving when entering a transaction when location services are enabled. The category chosen is linked to the payee at that location for future transactions.
  • Added a banner warning that is displayed if the location services setting is enabled in the app and the browser is set to block location lookups.
  • Updated pouchdb library to v7.10 which forces IndexedDB usage. This results in the 50MB database size limit being removed when using iOS (I think).
  • A bunch of other small refinements that were lost in the mix when committing the bigger changes.

Geo-Located Payees
I have been working on this feature for over a year (on and off), and it's finally, finally, finally working. With the beta, I am not going to give any hints as to how the feature works. I want to see how intuitive it is for every to use, and any feedback regarding issues or improvements that can be made is more than welcome. This feature is disabled by default and can be turned on via the main app settings. Once enabled, the app will attempt to use your mobile device's GPS receiver through the browser to record payee locations when entering transactions. When starting a new transaction the app will attempt to use your current location to lookup payees that may be in range based on saved location data from previous transactions. The location data is saved in the budget file so multiple devices can share the payee information.

Up Next
Geo-located payees was the last major feature that I wanted to add to the mobile app. I am going to slow down a bit and let the dust settle before making anymore major changes. The next beta version will likely be refinements and bug fixes based on internal testing and feedback from users. Again, please provide any feedback that you may have, good or bad.

Links
Beta App: https://beta.fmobile.io
Current App: https://app.fmobile.io
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:16:11 PM by asromzek »
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline asromzek

Re: Mobile App Beta 2.0.0-beta.8 (Geo-located Payees!)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »
I made a couple of small changes without bumping the version.

• Changed warning banner colors.
  • Fixed that payee saved location pin could not be dragged on the map if location services setting was disabled.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
The app was updated to v2.0.0-beta.9, which includes a few very minor enhancements and tweaks. It's not exciting enough to warrant a separate post, so the following is a short list of things that were changed or updated.

Changes/Fixes
  • Adjusted warning banner background colors. Some were minor message and a red background was too alarming.
  • Fixed payee saved location not being editable when location services setting is disabled. (The pin could not be dragged on the map.)
  • Add "Budget Loading" message and spinner to all app route views. When viewing a page that contained budget data, refreshing the browser would cause the budget to be reloaded into memory before the page would display data again. With larger budgets it appeared as if the app was not responding for a few seconds. The "Budget Loading" message and spinner provide better feedback that the app is actually doing something.
  • Update note icon. The old icon just didn't look right.
  • Updated a few minor project dependencies under the hood.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:02:34 PM by asromzek »

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 05:22:19 AM »
Yep looking awesome, entered a heap of transactions today on the fly my list of saved payee locations is slowly growing. The ability to move a payee detected location is great too. Couldn't get a park outside the pizza shop, so I sent the wife in and parked around the corner, not to worry edit the payee location adjust to be just outside the shop, happy days.