Author Topic: PC Gaming  (Read 809 times)

Offline asromzek

PC Gaming
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

Why not fire up a post about PC gaming.

The only console I own is an older XBox 360 that only functions as a DVD player and is occasionally used for some Red Dead Redemption. I spend most of my time on the PC when it comes to games. Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skyline, Civ V, etc. I stick to games that require thinking and planning. Lately, Factorio has been sucking up my time like no other. I find myself daydreaming about automation layouts during the day. I've been asked why I spend my whole day engineering at work, only to come home and engineer in my free time.  ;)
/s implied, unless stated otherwise.

Offline Sunflash

Re: PC Gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
+1 for Factorio. I thought Civ games sucked time away, but Factorio sucks up time like no other. I've been looking to get Civ VI but haven't budgeted for it yet. I've been playing Battlerite a bit, its very easy to jump into a quick, 10 minute game and get out.

Offline Doomspark

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
I've never heard of Factorio - I'll have to check it out.

I played all the Civ franchises from 2 to IV, and I still drag Civ IV out once in a while. 

I also play World of Warcraft (rarely, although my subscription is active),  Mechwarrior Online, and Star Trek Online.

We own a PS/3, but that's mostly my wife's thing. 
Understanding does not imply agreement.
Acceptance does not imply agreement.
Disagreement does not imply conflict.

Offline asromzek

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »
I've never heard of Factorio - I'll have to check it out.

It was nice knowing you, @Doomspark  ;)

Offline Billy_McSkintos

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »
Factorio? Just checked it out and buying it now. Is the soundtrack worth it too?
Project Fi Referral - Get $20 credit: https://g.co/fi/r/RWN1J1
Betterment.com Referral - 90 days managed free: https://www.betterment.com/?invite=marcusglynn

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
On the subject of gaming, who are your computers set up? I am thinking about getting a new machine and was wondering about specs. Thanks.

Games I enjoy, Minecraft, SimCity, City Skylines, Banished, Men of War, Company of Heroes, and Shogun 2 (have not branched out into other Total War games). Enjoy real-time strategy games.

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
@Billy_McSkintos  I don't remember the soundtrack to be honest! I'll have to try and pay attention to it next time I get on.

@jeremiahsvow I forgot about Company of Heroes! That game is excellent. I keep hearing about City Skylines, but have never actually checked it out.

I'm on the verge of building a new rig, but I must resist. Debt comes first  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline asromzek

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Forgot to mention Company of Heros and Banished. Many more hours lost to those games.

I built a system with a Core i5 and 16GB RAM a couple years ago, and gave it boost with a Nvidia GTX 970 last year. Currently running Windows 10, and it can handle most everything I've thrown at it. Looking forward to the $30 class action lawsuit payout due to Nvidia advertising the card with 4GB of memory instead of the 3.5GB that it actually uses.  parrot

Offline jeremiahsvow

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »

@jeremiahsvow I forgot about Company of Heroes! That game is excellent. I keep hearing about City Skylines, but have never actually checked it out.

There are some good DLC's, mods, and even models that you can download for free. And you can get as detailed as you want. But, the standard game is good as is. I think it allows more creativity than some other city builders I've tried or previewed. But, that's just me. I like a straight forward game play.

Offline ottyacat

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
Mainly Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes 2 and currently Battlefield 1 though my ROG laptop is really struggling with it. Time to save for a new gaming desktop parrot , jeez I wonder what tool I could use to help me  ;) .

Offline Sunflash

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger on a mechanical keyboard. The fact that it was 27.99 helped! Mpow Mechanical Gaming Keyboard had great reviews on amazon and I saw a promo code for 4$ off. Hooray!